Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting older

+17
Mint Cookie
moname
fishfisheateat
imustbeinsane
GreenTea
luluchan
sandumirabela
dreamcatcherHR
orchidpearl
poochigo
zhengcano
happyvampyre
icy_cold
shinjou
yuna37
sharpie
Gogo
21 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Getting older Empty Getting older Sun May 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Gogo

Gogo
Plum
Plum

Ok this isn't about me hitting 18 and feeling old. This is about the fact that since I'm getting older so is my family. I'm the youngest in my family and my dad is the youngest in his family. That makes my grandma very old and most of my cousins older than me. My cousin just recently got married, I have another niece and another cousin is engaged.

It's worrying to think of the future and know that my own parents will become old... like they will be grandparents themselves. I really don't want to see them all bent over and worse, develop some age related mental disease like Alzheimer's or something, that would really break my heart. My grandma just broke her hip last week, and I know that it will be a huge blow when she does pass away.

I hate to think of morbid things like this but they slip into my mind when I think of the future. (I try to think positively, honest)

2Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sun May 11, 2008 5:01 pm

sharpie

Plum
Plum

Gogo wrote:Ok this isn't about me hitting 18 and feeling old. This is about the fact that since I'm getting older so is my family. I'm the youngest in my family and my dad is the youngest in his family. That makes my grandma very old and most of my cousins older than me. My cousin just recently got married, I have another niece and another cousin is engaged.

It's worrying to think of the future and know that my own parents will become old... like they will be grandparents themselves. I really don't want to see them all bent over and worse, develop some age related mental disease like Alzheimer's or something, that would really break my heart. My grandma just broke her hip last week, and I know that it will be a huge blow when she does pass away.

I hate to think of morbid things like this but they slip into my mind when I think of the future. (I try to think positively, honest)

Dear Gogo,

I can totally relate to how you feel

I lost my grandmother last fall, and she had had a broken hip as well. But she passed away from different reasons, she was sick. It's been very tough, but you know something, everyone has their time, and in the meantime it's very important to make the most out of it. To spend time with her, and enjoy life. Nobody lives forever, and so the only thing we can do is make the most of the time and the best of it as we possibly can. Living with regret is the worst thing in the world.

I try to make sure my parents take the necessary vitamins and eat well so that they will be healthy even later on. My mom takes very good care of that. The only thing you can do is support them and make sure they don't stress out too much. Stress is a very debilitating emotion, and harms you not only mentally but physically. I think as they get older they need to stay away from stress, the bad kind that is. Everybody lives with the hope of tomorrow, and it is important to keep that alive as you get older. It's the thing that keeps you young!

3Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sun May 11, 2008 8:45 pm

yuna37

yuna37
Plum
Plum

Unfortunately, everyone that is born will one day pass away. So you do need to live each day to the fullest and often tell family members how much you love and cherish them. Try to do things with them and build up good memories of them while they are healthy and happy. Then when the unfortunate time does come, you won't be sad that you never told them how much you loved them, or never got around to doing fun stuff with them.

But try to not dwell on depressing things like this. Just enjoy your life and your family!!

4Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Mon May 12, 2008 1:41 am

shinjou

Pineapple
Pineapple

i've lost my grandparents from my mom's side since i was really young age, though i only remember vaguely about my grandma. my grandpa from my dad's side has long passed away, i think a year or two after i was born, or before that. i cried when my grandma from dad's side died when i was in my 10th grade cause i wasnt there. i knew about it a week after she died. i regret not being there because i've accused so much bad things about her when all she wanted to do is fulfil her childrens wants or needs, even if that means some of the siblings has to fight over it.

people will die when their time comes, whether they like it or not. it's okay to be the youngest of the family and you dont really have to think much about the future that is so far ahead of you. you're still developing your feelings, but i'd say it's cause you are in the age where you think a lot about the people around you and you start to realise what's more important in life but since you are in the earlier stages of maturity, i suggest you to enjoy life to the fullest. you might think that what you've done or say is not appropriate in the past and want to be careful not to hurt their feelings anymore since they might not live long or something, but keep being yourself. say sorry when you have said a bad thing and you know you're guilty of it. tell them that you didnt mean it and most of all, tell them you love them. they'll understand cause they're your parents and grandparents and they know you too well than you know about them or yourself.

5Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Wed May 14, 2008 10:13 pm

icy_cold

Plum
Plum

I'm 16 and I haven't lose one yet except my grandpa when I was really small. I really don't want to think about the future because it makes me insecure and I'll start worrying about my family.

6Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sat May 24, 2008 7:15 am

happyvampyre

happyvampyre
Sherbet Lemon
Sherbet Lemon

Yesterday was the first year aniversary of my grandmother's death. Before she passed away, she suffered from multiple strokes and memory loss; she forgot how to speak English, and she even forgot that my father was married with children. And although this distressed me, in the end there was nothing I could do but remember the good times, and hope that she was happy.

My point is, don't distress about everyone getting old. They're still there, and probably will be for years to come. Just treasure the time you have with them, and make memories for when they aren't.

It is only natural to pass on.

Last edited by happyvampyre on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:07 am

zhengcano

Plum
Plum

What's with EVERYBODY losing their GRANDMAS?!?!?!... I lost mine too recently. Like everyone says, its natural, but its still shocking. Whenver I see my mom, I'm like "Wow... her hairs getting gray"... seriously I can see that she's going to look exactly like my grandma (other grandma).

8Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:16 pm

poochigo

as i get older i act more and more like a kid... when it comes to it i will turn into serious mode like in class and stuf... but most of my firends r younger but i'm the one that acts like a lil baby....

9Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:01 am

orchidpearl

Plum
Plum

3 years ago my grandma passed away also, and that did make me feel old after looking back on it. I feel old anyways because sometimes I still don't remember things as clearly as I should. My mom sometimes jokingly says she feels younger since I keep forgetting and losing my mind about certain situations. I feel old too since I am beginning to look older and probably will start looking the same in 30 years... well maybe not since I am 20 years old. I found some people look drastically different in their 30s. I feel older too because I hope I could impart some wisdom unto the younger people (I even now can call younger people 'younger people')

10Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:10 pm

dreamcatcherHR

dreamcatcherHR
Plum
Plum

Well that's something that no one can stop. time goes by and our bodies start to brake down. I think of that stuff from time to time but it just makes me wanna keep living life to the fullest! I won't dwell on it. What's the point in worrying myself crazy when I should be paying more attention to whats happening now.

11Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:56 am

sandumirabela

I am 22 and already have white hairs and their number is growing.I actually feel older sometimes because I finished school,well now it's the idea of taking some courses of other things too but anyway yes I know what you mean...getting old is scary but you have no way to stop it.
In vain try some people with surgical operations,botox or other things you can't stop this process....you can only try to accept it and not to fall into a depression because of it.
I have seen people who reach an age and cross through a crisis and well you can loose a lot from that too.
I,myself try not to think to much to be able to enjoy things,I am terrified of many ideas so I try to not think about it since we have so many problems already,what can I say but try to enjoy everything,to not have later regrets!

12Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:27 am

luluchan

Plum
Plum

My grandma died two years ago. She was very old and had Alzheimer. Really I dont matter if i grew old. Im scared of dying young so i think its veeeery ok getting older

13Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:24 pm

GreenTea

GreenTea

My grandfather died when I was very young. I never really talked to him because he's always in bed sleeping whenever I come over for a visit. My other grandfather have Alzheimer currently...but he's strong as an ox. Shock I'm only 17 and my parents are aging quite fast also.

Last edited by GreenTea on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : modifying)

14Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:22 pm

imustbeinsane

imustbeinsane
Plum
Plum

I hear you. I lost both my grandfathers in the span of three years, both after battleing long-term illnesses. One had had cancer for years and the other ended up dieing of alzheimers. The double death has made my father very morbid and worried about his will. And then I'm running into younger kids I used to babysit and they're suddenly taller than me. My baby brother is going into high school. Unfortunately, death and aging is a part of life. So I just make sure I let everyone know how much I love them and enjoy life and youth while I have it.

15Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:12 am

fishfisheateat

fishfisheateat
Strawberry
Strawberry

my granddad died just about when I was born, so he only got to hold me once. I thnak god i've still got all my other grandparents around. i dont want them to leave but its mostly because i dont want to watch my parents crumble in sadness... its only being selfish

http://www.freewebs.com/21things

16Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:26 pm

moname

Plum
Plum

I too am afraid of future, I turned 19 last July. But then I tried to calm myself by remebering this song "The Rose"
"It's the heart afraid of breaking, that never learns to dance
It's the dream afraid of waking, that never take the chance
it's the one, who won't be taken, who can not seems to give,
and the SOUL AFRAID OF DYING, THAT NEVER LEARNS TO LIVE"
So my friends, let remember that we live in the present, let the past go and let the present carry us to the future.

17Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:48 am

Mint Cookie

Mint Cookie
Plum
Plum

I have only my Grandmas, though

18Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Lilith

Lilith
Strawberry
Strawberry

I'm 15 and am the youngest with the oldest being 23. Whenever hear about someone getting married I think, "Sh** that could be my sister in a few years."
But other than that I just try to do everything I can right now just in case the world gets destroyed by an asteroid tomorrow or something like that.

And ummmm... yeah I lost all of my grandparents.

But I hope that everyone that just recently lost a relative won't mourn forever but try to remember the happy times you had with your late relatives because I'm sure they don't want you to cry over them forever.

19Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 am

shimon

shimon
Plum
Plum

I feel the same as you!
I'm also the last child of my family and my dad is turning 60 this year...my mom will be 58...
somehow I always remind myself these days that they'll part from me soon... Getting older 986947

20Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:25 pm

peripearl

peripearl
Plum
Plum

I already lost two of my grandparents way before I was even born, I think some kind of incurable illness at that time killed them or something like that. I should really start asking my parents about their family history before I have no one to ask about this topic. A grandmother I was really close to died when I first got into middle school. I was pretty sad at the time, but as time passes, the sadness may still be there, but at least I know my grandma had a peaceful death and that I won't forget her for her passing. My grandfather passed away in another continent when my family and I last visited him. It was pretty sad that he died after we shortly visited him. Now I have no grandparents, except if you call my grandmother's little brother, my grandfather. I don't know what's the appropriate word for that. Well, by saying all this, I'm just saying unfortunate things can happen when you least expect it and hopefully you can find some comfort to know that they passed away peacefully, hopefully.

21Getting older Empty Re: Getting older Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:49 pm

maoer

Plum
Plum

i feel that you shouldn't stress about it,since you're eventually going to lose everybody whether you think about it or not. so just put it out of your mind and enjoy the time you have together, both the good and bad. it may seem depressing but it works

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum